Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A Prayer of John Wesley's

A Prayer of John Wesley's that was posted in his bedroom in London during his life and is still written there today

I am not my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will,
Rank me with whom you will,
Put me to doing -- put me to suffering,
Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you, or brought low for you.

Let me be full, let me be empty,
Let me have all things, let me have nothing;
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.

And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.
So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.

Amen.

Dare we pray this way? Perhaps this is part of the reason why the early Methodists were used of God the way they were-- sold out, surrendered, all out, counting all things loss, caring not for this world's goods or possessions, and withholding nothing from the Master. May God give us grace to follow in their path.

- Mack T.

No comments: