Thursday, March 11, 2010

Things God Wants Us to Know

I have never liked superficial literature, whether books, tracts, or pamphlets that deal with deep and eternal subjects in a shallow way, such as

"Five Things God Wants You to Know" or

"How to Know God's Will in an Hour" or

"God Loves You and Has a Wonderful Plan for your Life"

Even as a new Christian of one month in 1973, I read a book given to me entitled "Satan is Alive and Well on Planet Earth" by a very well-known evangelical author. Even in my spiritual infancy, though I would not have known any difference between Benny Hinn and John Calvin, I somehow knew instinctively that book was not good. After reading two chapters, I threw it away. It was unclean, cheap, and felt dirty.

As I was increasingly exposed to literature more and more, I began to know there had to be much more than what was being said, and that it seemed questionable and wrong to simplify and cheapen great truths with human cleverness or humor.

Some things never change. After 37 years as a Christian, I feel that way more deeply than ever. To use the name of God, Jesus Christ, or the Holy Spirit in a clever way just to sell a book or even with a motive that it will attraction attention is utterly wrong. To use clever language in a cheapened way about eternal realities just doesn't cut it, if we want to honor the Lord, who is worthy of infinite honor.

All that being said, it is still true that there are some things "God wants us to know". Here are just a few:

- the true saving knowledge of God

- true communion with the Lord Jesus Christ

- intimacy and fellowship with the Holy Spirit

- the Bible deeply

- God's glory and attributes

- the ways and purposes of His kingdom

- the love of HIs people

- compassion for sinners

- His decrees

- the fellowship of His suffering

- knowing and doing the full will of God in all things

- the love of Christ, which passes knowledge

- the fullness and control of the Holy Spirit daily

- joy regardless of any circumstances

- the sufficiency of His grace daily

"That I may know Him . . . "

These things the Lord most assuredly wants us to know. And He wants us to know them experientially, increasingly, and daily. We must desire this, be diligent in seeking God for these things, all the times realizing that we are utterly cast upon Him to give us grace to know them. No wonder the hymn writer said:

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on heaven's table land,
A higher plane than I have found,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

- Mack Tomlinson

No comments: