Monday, July 6, 2009

Small Acts of Kindness: Do We Care About the Lost Pennies of a Child We Don't Even Know?

"The Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone." 2 Timothy 2:24

John Newton's biographer writes:

"When Mr. Newton moved to London, being of the most friendly and generous disposition, his house was open to Christians of all social ranks and church denominations. Here, like a father among his children, he used to entertain, encourage, and instruct his friends. Here also the poor, the afflicted, and the tempted found an asylum and a sympathy, which they could scarcely find, in an equal degree, anywhere else. Sometimes his whole day was so graciously spent, that he was found both rejoicing with those who rejoiced and literally weeping with those who wept!

"I remember to have heard him say, 'I see two heaps in this world--of human happiness and misery. If I can take but the smallest bit from one heap--and add to the other, I shall be content. As I am on my way home, if I should meet a child who has lost his penny, and if, by giving him another penny, I could wipe away his tears, I feel I have done something. I would be glad, indeed, to do greater things, but I will not neglect these smaller acts of kindness.'

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12

- John Newton

No comments: