Monday, July 27, 2009

The Lord Preserves His People: A Letter from John Newton

March 1, 1769

Dear madam,

Through grace I can say that, as I never saw more of my own vileness, so I never saw Jesus more precious and desirable than now, or was more clearly sensible of the vanity of everything without Him than I have been lately. "None but Jesus!" is my motto. All wisdom, righteousness, holiness and happiness, which does not spring from and center in Him, I renounce! The heart is deceitful, the world is ensnaring, and the enemy is subtle and powerful. But we know Him who has said, "My grace is sufficient for you!" He is able to keep us from falling, in every circumstance and situation to which His providence calls us.

The Lord preserves His people by putting His fear in their hearts, by making them sensible of their dangers, and drawing them to come boldly to His throne of grace, that they may obtain mercy and find grace to help in every time of need.

Our daily prayer should be, "Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117

- John Newton

No comments: