Thursday, June 4, 2009

Contentment -- Letter from John Newton, August 17, 1776

My dear friend,

It is fitting for every Christian to say: "It is not necessary for me to be rich or what the world accounts as wise. It is not necessary for me to be healthy or admired by my fellow worms. Neither is it necessary for me to pass through life in a state of prosperity and outward comfort. These things might be or might not occur, as the Lord in His wisdom shall appoint them for me.

But it is necessary for me to be humble and spiritual, to seek communion with God, to adorn my profession of the Gospel, and to yield submissively to His disposal in whatever way, whether of service or suffering, that He shall be pleased to call me to glorify Him in this world. It is not necessary for me to live long, but highly expedient that while I do live, I should live unto Him!

Here then, I would bind my desire, and having His Word for my rule, I am secured from asking amiss. Let me have His presence and as to the rest, I pray: "Lord, Whatever You will, whenever You will, and however You will."

Lord, give me wisdom to know my calling and opportunities, and the faithfulness to improve them: "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want!" Philippians 4:11-12

- John Newton

No comments: