Friday, September 17, 2010

Christ of the Upward Way

Christ of the upward way, my guide divine,
Where thou has set thy feet, may I place mine;
And move and march wherever thou hast trod,
Keeping face forward up the hill of God.

Give me a heart to hear thy voice and will,
That without fault or fear I may fulfill
thy purpose with a glad and holy zest,
Like one who would not bring less than his best.

Give me eyes to see each chance to serve,
Then send me strength to rise with steady nerve;
And leap at once with kind and helpful deed,
To the sure succor of a soul in need.

Give me the good stout arm to shield the right,
And wield thy sword of truth with all my might,
That in the warfare I must wage for thee,
More than a victor I may ever be.

Christ of the upward way, my guide divine,
Where Thou hast set Thy feet, may I place mine;
And when Thy last call comes, serene and clear,
Calm may my answer be, "Lord, I am here."

- Walter Mathams

No comments: