Monday, August 23, 2010

Jesus our Shield

"My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart." Psalm 7:10

This implies exposure to foes--Satan, evil men, and death; Against these we need defense.

It implies opposition--and the opposition of our foes is great, daring, and deadly.

It implies danger to be apprehended--because we are weak, timid and unskillful, and our foes are strong, daring, and experienced.

Our safety therefore, stands in what the Lord is to us--He is our shield, and such a shield as no one besides has or can have. He is omniscient to see all our foes and dangers. He is omnipresent to help us at all times, and against all opposers. He is omnipotent to defend us, and secure us from all evil. He is faithful to fulfill His word and carry out His engagements. He will come between the believer and danger. He will preserve the trusting soul from all real injury. He will protect the upright in heart everywhere, and at all times.

What a mercy. What an unspeakable privilege is this.

"You who fear the Lord--trust in the Lord! He is their help and shield." Psalm 115:11.

"He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge."
- Psalm 144:2

- James Smith

No comments: