Sunday, November 29, 2009

Love that is Stronger than Death

There, by faith, O mourners in Zion, may you see your Saviour hanging with arms stretched out, and hear him, as it were, thus speaking to your souls:

“Behold how I have loved you! Behold my hands and my feet! Look, look into my wounded side, and see a heart flaming with love: love stronger than death. Come into my arms, O sinners, come wash your spotted souls in my heart's blood. See here is a fountain opened for all sin and all uncleanness! See, O guilty souls, how the wrath of God is now abiding upon you: come, haste away, and hide yourselves in the clefts of my wounds; for I am wounded for your transgressions; I am dying that you may live for evermore. Behold, as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so am I here lifted up on a tree. See how I am become a curse for you: the chastisement of your peace is upon me. I am thus scourged, wounded, crucified, that you by my stripes may be healed. O look unto me, all ye trembling sinners, even to the ends of the earth! Look unto me by faith, and you shall be saved: for I came thus to be obedient even unto death, that I might save that which was lost."

- George Whitefield

No comments: