Monday, August 3, 2009

Seventeen Year Old Son's Letter to Dad

My dear father,

I am very comfortable here, and I may say, happy. Were it not for my vile heart, I might rejoice. I am the least of God's people and I am sure I am the worst. But yet I am one--I believe in Jesus and trust in Him. Conviction of sin, I take it, is the evidence of true spiritual life. I can fall into His arms, though I cannot rest on my own merits, for I have none. Jesus, and Jesus alone--is my sure defense. -

I must bless the Lord for making me His son; it is of His own sovereign mercy. Not one good thing has failed. I have felt corruptions from the old man are strong, but His grace always comes in just at the critical time and saves me from myself! The Lord alone keeps me! I have no hope of persevering, but by His power. I know that His almighty arm is all-sufficient.

I want to feel "less than nothing," but this is a very great attainment.

Sometimes I pour my heart out sweetly and freely; at other times, I can hardly bring up a petition. What a contrast, mixture, and paradox I am! My greatest concern is to grow in grace, and to go onward in the heavenly race! I hope you and dear mother are well. Love to all.

Your affectionate son,

- Charles Spurgeon

No comments: