Friday, May 29, 2009

Jesus-- Egomaniac or Lord of All?

Last Tuesday, May 13, National Public Radio (NPR) played an interview with an author who quoted Jesus in Matthew 10:37-38 and asked in his book, “Who is the egomaniac speaking these words?” What Jesus said was:

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his rossand follow me is not worthy of me."

Jesus is clearly demanding that we treasure him over everyone and everything else. To many people today, that is sheer egomania. They see that Jesus demands that we love him more than anyone—that we follow him, trust him, enjoy him, be satisfied in him, delight in him, obey him more than anyone else. That’s true. He does. And their response is exactly the opposite of John the Baptist: "He must increase--I must decrease." They remain where Nicodemus was. Flabbergasted (John 3:9). Or appalled and offended.

- John Piper

No comments: