Thursday, December 6, 2007

Rutherford's Riches- Pt 3

It is the Lord's kindness that He will take the scum off us in the fire. Who know how needful winnowing is to us and what dross we have before we enter the kingdom of God? So narrow is the entry to heaven that our knots, lumps of pride, self-love, idol-love, and world-love must be hammered off us, that we may stoop low and creep through into that narrow entry.

O, what I owe to the file, the hammer, and the furnace of the Lord Jesus! I know that He is no idle husbandman- He purposes a crop.

How sweet a thing is it for us to learn to make our burdens light by framing our hearts to the burden and making our Lord's will a law.

He takes His children in His arms when they come into deep waters; when they lose ground and are having to swim, then His hand is under their chin. I do see that grace grows best in winter.

Let Him make anything out of me, if so that He be glorified in my salvation; for I know that I was made for Him.

Every day we may see some new thing in Christ. His love has neither brim nor bottom.

I find that our needs qualify us for Christ.

I urge upon you a nearer communion with Christ and a growing communion. There are curtains to be drawn in Christ that we never saw and new foldings of love in Him. Therefore dig deep and sweat, labor, and take pains toward Him; set by so much time in the day for Him as you can, for He will be won to you by spiritual labor.

We need fear neither crosses or pain or be sad for anything that is on this side of heaven if we have Christ.

- Samuel Rutherford

No comments: